Sunday, September 13, 2009

Where I'm From


So as I was running today, listening to my iPod, one of my new favorite songs came on. Actually, the song came into my life by my little sis, Brooke. She was over the other day and we were talking about some of our favorite songs. She mentioned a song that she had heard on the radio that made her heart happy. After some iTunes searching, we finally came up with the tune, "Where I'm From", by Jason Michael Carroll. We immediately purchased the song and cranked it up, and that's when I completely understood what she meant by the song making her heart happy! It's one of those songs that is so true and reminiscent of your childhood, or....um....for those of us who had the privilege of growing up in small country Texas towns, as I did. True, I left my hometown as soon as I could, right after graduating high school, and don't think I'd ever go back, but, there's just something about being a small town girl and finally understanding at the age of 32, the hand it had in molding and shaping me into the person I am today. So if you ever have the inkling to ask me where I call home, I'd proudly say:

I'm from the front pew of a wooden white church,
A courthouse clock that still don't work,
Where a man's word means everything,
Where moms and dads were high school flames,
Gave their children grandmother's maiden name,
It may not sound like much,
But it's where I'm from

No comments:

Post a Comment